Translate

Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve Chatham Islands

It is early evening, Christmas Eve. I will celebrate the Vigil Mass of Christmas at 9.00pm with another Mass here at Waitangi Christmas morning at 9.00am

I arrived from Christchurch (via Auckland and Napier) late yesterday afternoon. It was good to see familiar faces at the airport and I took the opportunity to let them know the Mass times for Christmas and for Sunday. To be honest, the enthusiasm level was not high - but God may well have a surprise in store for me. Soon after arriving at Waitangi I put up a notice at the bank (the main community notice board) and the pub. For the last two weeks the Mass times have been advertised in the email newsletter. Most people here see this email.

I have also advertised over the last few weeks the opportunity for baptisms at anytime. I hear there is interest, but no one has contacted me yet.

So, now, an hour before Mass I will go over to the Church to pray in preparation. I will let you know later this evening how we go...

Weather: it has just started to rain and is pretty blustery.

Some photos taken just ten minutes ago:


St Therese of Lisieux Church, Waitangi, Chatham Islands



No comments:

Post a Comment