Translate

Thursday, September 15, 2011

an article over a beer

Over a beer this afternoon I read the article below.

Many of you have heard me speak about the beauty of Gregorian Chant. I much prefer jazz or classical music when I go to a concert. But Liturgical music is different. 

In Liturgy the purpose of music is not to entertain. Gregorian Chant is THE music of the liturgy of the church. I have struggled to explain this to parishioners. At Our Lady of Victories we have certainly tasted the beauty of this prayer.

And then I found this article. You might like to set aside 15 minutes to ponder the content. You might think as you begin that it is a bit beyond you. But this is not true. If you are able to follow a cooking recipe, understand a car manual, or make sense of the ingredient list on a supermarket product, (none of which I can do) you are certainly up to understanding and appreciating this piece.

Jonah Lynch presents the most robust, comprehensive and relevant appreciation of the contemporary music listening experience that I have ever heard or read.

And you will appreciate immediately the nature of Liturgical music as a live experience rather than a recorded objective perfection.

Let me know what you think.


http://www.communio-icr.com/articles/PDF/lynch36-4.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment