Translate

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

correction! (Corpus Christi)

I am grateful to a friend who responded to my Corpus Christi post with a necessary correction.

In my reflection I suggested that God enters bread and wine in every Mass. But God is already everywhere - remember that catechism question: "where is God?"  Answer: "God is everywhere!"

God does not come onto the altar during the Mass - God does not move. But the substance of the bread and wine are changed.

St. Thomas Aquinas also does not use the word miracle (as I wrongly did) of the Mass. This is because what happens in the Mass is not miraculous - it is sacramental. It is crucial that we understand the difference. A miracle happens only when God chooses. But the sacraments are available to us.

This is a remarkable thing. Take a moment to consider that God allows us to determine the time and the place of the event of each Mass. And God responds to our decision be becoming real among us in the form of bread and wine.

My friend offered an accurate rewrite of my incorrect paragraph. I am happy to share it so as to avoid spreading misunderstanding. Thank you to him!


the gifts of bread and wine are brought forward,. Elements that are simply flour and water and grape. Now the Eucharistic Prayer is prayed and the bread and wine are changed. Now the whole and entire reality of Christ is present to His Church. He is there under the appearances of what was once bread and wine. The fullness of God's only son is at home in our world of sign and symbol.






No comments:

Post a Comment