Translate

Thursday, February 9, 2012

life is changed, not ended

Two years ago today my father died. Three years ago tomorrow my mother died. Both were relatively young (74 & 70), but as my father, Con, often said: we are only allocated three score and ten years on earth.

Only now, two and three years on, do I find myself celebrating and rejoicing in so many aspects of their lives. The pain of initial grief has passed. But the sadness remains.

This morning in Amberley I celebrated Mass for them both, and I will do the same tomorrow at the Cheviot rest home.

As I was leaving the Cheviot presbytery this morning to drive to Amberley I picked up the cd of Faure's Requiem to accompany me on the drive.  Many of these great Requiem compositions are masterpieces. Faure is a favourite of mine. In particular the "In Paradisum"


In paradisum deducant te Angeli; 
in tuo adventu suscipiant te martyres, 
et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Ierusalem. 
Chorus angelorum te suscipiat, 
et cum Lazaro quondam paupere æternam habeas requiem.

May angels lead you into paradise; 
upon your arrival, may the martyrs receive you
and lead you to the holy city of Jerusalem
May the ranks of angels receive you, 
and with Lazarus, the poor man, may you have eternal rest.


Evelyn Mary O'Connor 1938 - 2009
Cornelius Michael O'Connor 1935 - 2010

May these, and all who sleep in Christ
find in Your presence O God
light
happiness
and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment