Translate

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

new evangelisation

Pope Benedict has called for a "new evangelisation."  This call is often misunderstood. We think that the pope is asking for a renewed effort to 'spread the good news' to those who have not yet heard of Christ.  While such an evangelisation is always necessary, the pope is being a bit more specific when he makes this call for a 'new evangelisation.'

I often think that people of my age (50) were the last to receive some sound catechesis from parents and at Catholic School. Anyone younger than me at a Catholic School had only a programme of 'christian living' rather than 'Catholic Doctrine.'  

The pope's call for a new evangelisation is aimed primarily at those who may have been baptised as Catholic, and even raised with some knowledge of Catholic faith and life, but who have later drifted away from life as a Catholic.

I have a particular passion for this project since I fear that if I did not have a sound introduction to Catholic doctrine, I may well now be walking the beach and savouring brunch on Sunday mornings with no contact with the Church.


Don't get me wrong. I enjoy both brunch and beach walking, but the reason I really enjoy these, is that my life has a bigger focus: love of the one who made the beach and the ingredients for brunch.

I realise how easily I could have missed out on experiencing Catholic faith as a life that makes it possible for me to truly live rather than simply survive or exist or endure.

Alongside Pope Benedict's call for this new evangelisation, is his encouragement for us to use every tool of technology in this process of new evangelisation.

You might make a start by browsing good websites. Try www.wordonfire.org as a start.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree - my experience of God has given me a passion to ensure others come to know Him too.
    For me (and I believe for many others) World Youth Day has played a large part in my faith journey, because it shows the fearlessness of Catholicism which I think is integral to any evangelisation. At WYD08, no one was afraid to proclaim their faith, to speak about the Eucharist, to support pro-life movements, to openly talk about Jesus.
    In our society today (particularly in NZ) there seems to be a lack of this 'rash' faith - no one wants to rock the boat. For any evangelisation to work we MUST rock the boat and shock people out of their day-to-day lives! Look at Jesus, the apostles, the great saints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 42 and had Christian living classes, and drifted away between the ages of 17 and 36 or so. Ok, I won't blame it on the Christian living teacher or the Catholic education. But I have tried to analiaze what drew me back. What was missing in my education or upbringing. I didn't really see the Mass as an encounter with God. A real encounter. Until this occurred for me, the motivation to go to Mass was lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 42, had Christian living lessons and drifted from the age of approx 17 to 38. I don't blame the christian living teacher or my catholic education for this. I've tried to analyse what happened. It was not until I believed, that I could REALLY encounter God in the Mass,that I was motivated to go to Mass.

    ReplyDelete