Translate

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Hobbit

I was introduced to Tolkein's "The Hobbit" forty years ago. I was in Standard Four (equivalent of Year 6 today) at Marist Brothers Intermediate school in Timaru

We had a great teacher, a young American woman in NZ for the year: Ruthanne Scofield.  (I wonder if anyone knows where she is now? I would love to let her know that of all my teachers, she was one of the best).

Back to The Hobbit:  Mrs Scofield would read to us. In the first week of the year she began the book, on many days she would read a little more to us. Before the end of the year together we completed the book. It was a real treat. 

Today I still enjoy  being read to - even more than watching a movie. For this reason I listen to books downloaded from audible.com as I drive around the Hurunui parishes. I am listening to The Hobbit this week.

It was years later when in Antarctica (for a 3 week Chaplaincy stint) when I  moved on to Lord of the Rings.

Tomorrow night Peter Jackson's movie The Hobbit premiers in Wellington.  The occasion brings back great memories for me: 1972, relaxing head-on-desk, listening to Mrs Scofield read to us.  




No comments:

Post a Comment