Translate

Monday, December 31, 2012

new year's resolutions

It's the eve of the new year. Many people make resolutions at this time. 

My resolutions are always well intentioned and sincere. Usually they don't last too long. But I have discovered that there is a secret to making resolutions that last.

If I choose my own resolution, and seek to keep this resolution by my own efforts, the resolution is hard work and I ultimately fail.

But when I know that the ultimate resolution has already been made by God in His resolve of love for me, my gaze is shifted from my own well-intentioned projects, to my desire to live simply and wholly in response to God's love.

In this desire I am focussed on the ultimate love, who is holding me in existence with every God-given breath.

And a fully lived human life is lived by the one who remains in His love.

It's not a bad thing to make a resolution or two. But it is much more important to remember that the motivation for any good resolution has it's source in God's resolve of love for each of us.

And it is this wondrous love that I now resolve to remember every moment of the year ahead.



What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul!

When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down
Beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb I will sing, I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb I will sing; 
To God and to the Lamb, 
Who is the great I AM, 
While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing,
While millions join the theme, I will sing.

And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on.
And when from death I’m free 
I’ll sing His love for me,
And through eternity I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on,
And through eternity I’ll sing on.









No comments:

Post a Comment