Translate

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

airports

I have spent a bit of time waiting in airports in the past few weeks. This morning on a news report I read that Pope Benedict met with airport staff and offered them a few words of challenge and encouragement.

An airport is a unique kind of place. A liminal space where I am no longer where I was, but I am not yet where I am going.

Such a space offers unique opportunities for reflection.  

If I ever wrote a book I would like it to be the kind of work that airport kiosks sold; the kind of reading that a browsing traveller would be happy to pay a few dollars for, and to read at the gate or on the plane.

I suspect that whenever people find themselves in a liminal space they are more open than usual to considering a decision, or to pondering a new direction...

Back to the pope. You might be interested in the report:


No comments:

Post a Comment