Translate

Monday, June 3, 2013

Queen Elizabeth - 60 years

It is sixty years (June 2) since the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. A lifetime of such commitment is worthy of admiration. On her 21st birthday in 1947 (five years before she became Queen), Princess Elizabeth gave a speech (first video clip below). In that speech she vowed:
"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong". 
And this morning's UK "Telegraph" (3 June 2013) comments on 'how she has done it' all these years:
"In seeking to understand how Her Majesty has done it – how she still does it at the age of 87 – I think one has to look to her belief in God. 
She was brought up by a mother who was taught by her own mother (Lady Strathmore) to believe in three things: love of God, love of family, love of country; as well as cherishing a sense of duty, Princess Elizabeth inherited all those commitments. 
In advance of her Coronation, she said: “I want to ask you all, whatever your religion may be, to pray for me… to pray that Christ may give me wisdom and strength to carry out the solemn promises I shall be making, and that I may faithfully serve him, and you, all the days of my life.” 
That prayer, that commitment, has informed her and guided her always".




Coronation of Queen Elizabeth - a 1.5 hour BBC documenta:y. Long but well worth the watch.


and a three-part BBC documentary marking the Diamond Jubilee













No comments:

Post a Comment